Sunday, December 7, 2008

30 days for 30 years

If you have been following this blog you know I have a problem with binging, which means that I can never go for long periods of time on raw foods. My max is 21 days - is usually when PMS sets in and I lose control.

These days personal development blogger (and raw foodist) Steve Pavlina said something that caught my attention. When you want to try something out, do it for 30 days first and then see want you want to do. That way you won't keep thinking about all the things you will "miss out" on forever, etc. (and end up eating them). If you do it with a 30-day mindset, it is easier because you know that in the end you will be able to eat whatever you like (if you still do, that is!).
.
Yes, I had heard that sort of advice before, but for some reason it really clicked this time. Also, there is an extra bonus now. In a few months I will be turning 30 and I was telling myself how I deserve 30 days on a super healthy raw food diet. I did fill myself with junk for most of these 30 years anyway, so why not give myself a break? I could even celebrate every day in a different way, like today (day 7) I am healing from all of the traumas, bad food, or whatever I want to heal from when I was 7??
.
By the way, this time I am trying 80-10-10 (which I have sort of been trying - and liking - for the last months), but more on that later. Not being too strict on myself, but overall eating loadas of fruit as I always do, plus a lot of greens. Will keep posting on my progress.
.
What I have had today so far:
Spinach-banana-papaya-sesame-flaxseed smoothie
Fresh coconut water
Handful dates
Couple apples
Half a tomato
Some kale

4 comments:

Via811 said...

Congrats to you too! Just as a suggestion, track your food and calorie intake on a program like nutridiary for a few days or more 1) to make sure you're getting enough calories (approx 2000 if not more cos you're active) and 2) not too much fat. From what I could see from your menu listed you seemed short on 1) and excessive on 2) for the amount of calories consumed. I'll check up on you occasionally to see how you're doing. Hope everything is great with you and yours!

Via811 said...

You might lose weight if you're not at your ideal weight-I certainly did. However, if you eat enough calories you will stable out and stop losing. I haven't lost any more weight for over a year now. If you do strength exercises you can even gain healthy weight. This is my goal right now. I'm going to be doing lots of weight bearing body weight exercises in the next three months to put on some muscle. I'll encourage you with the diet part, you encourage me with the exercise, ok? Have you got skype with video? We could exercise together with that every once in awhile. Salt is my worst addiction so I know how hard cravings can be. On vegsource we had a great discussion about it recently-look it up-it's the posts by Dr. D and another Brazilian called Clarita. Bisous

Ols said...

hi andrea!

i'm really glad i've found your blog. i wish you all the best with staying raw and doing 811. binging is also my main reason i'm not 100%. i've been trying to identify what triggers binging but sometimes it's difficult to stay strong and control the triggers.

i wish you success!

ola

Gina said...

You always inspire me to want to eat healthier!