Saturday, October 25, 2008

The Fruit Series

Today my son and I invented a "detective" game to see how many fruit trees (or shrubs, vines, etc.) we could find around the neighborhood. I was amazed: 23 different types of native and exotic fruit (besides the ones I certainly missed!). I have always been in awe at how much bounty there is around here, yet I was still taken by surprise. We also tried to count how many trees there were of each, but soon we lost count because there were so many.
.
Here is the list:
1. Avocado
2. Banana
3. Cashew
4. Castanhola
5. Coconut
6. Jack fruit
7. Jambo
8. Jenipapo
9. Graviola
10. Guava
11. Ingá
12. Lemon
13. Mango
14. Oiti
15. Orange
16. Papaya (the large kind)
17. Passion fruit
18. Peruvian cherry (acerola)
19. Pineapple
20. Pitanga
21. Pomegranate
22. Starfruit
23. Tomato
.
Thus, I decided to start The Fruit Series - a series of posts where I will talk about these and other tropical fruit, one at a time. The first one will be the mango. I will also write a bit about my recent frutarian experiences.
.
P.S. Note that I have been increasing this list - everytime I go out I find new fruit!!

2 comments:

jessica said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
jessica said...

what a paradise of beautiful fruit. lucky that your son has a wonderful mommy to show him all the delicious fruits.